GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON
Sourced from SÖKTAŞ in Turkey the organic cotton we use is Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified – the leading textile processing standard in the world.
In addition to the strict environmental standards, GOTS certified fabrics require stringent social responsibility covering the production, processing, manufacturing, packaging and labelling of goods.
GOTS Social Responsibility
Not only is the GOTS standard strict on the environmental side of textile manufacturing, but it is very stringent on social responsibility. The below principles are at the forefront of this social criteria:
- Employment is freely chosen (no bonded or forced labour)
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining (workers committees or unions can be formed without the fear of discrimination)
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour must not be used. (Checks must be in place to validate workers identify and age. If child labour is found in a company, contribution and participation in programmes and policies must be undertaken to provide for the childs transition enabling the child to attend and remain in quality education until they are determined an adult)
- Living wages paid
- Working hours are not excessive (48 hour weeks are not to be exceeded on a regular basis. Rest breaks and one day off per every 7 days on average is required. Any overtime is to be voluntary and not exceeding 12 hours per week with compensation at a premium rate (ie. No less than one and on-quarter times the employees regular rate).
- No discrimination is practised
- Regular employment is provided
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited